My Blog List

Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Farm House


I've been going to Western North Carolina, for, well as long as I can remember but my parents tell me that my mother rafted the Nantahala River when she was pregnant with me... I don't doubt it. She seems like super woman, especially these days. The hills roll there, the mountains range to a point where you wonder if you are truly this... high, the colors are so blue... that your eyes will deceive you beyond all imagination because of the fog and the pines... But in the midst of it all, there are these valleys with beautiful farms... and old homes that seem invincable which reside on them for years and years. Just as you come over this one particular hill near Bryson City, headed towards the gorge where the Nantahala River is, there is this old farm house... with an amazing porch, a beautiful layout and a magnificent view of the mountains. I attempted to paint it at some point in time, while I lived in Birmingham. I had taken some photographs of it in black and white and used those as my point of focus. I used only white house paint, black dye and a muted green dye. Before I knew it, I loved what had come to be. It was a bit distorted but it was mine and no matter if that house went away, I will always remember it, and I will always have it because I painted it!

No comments: