My Blog List

Monday, December 6, 2010

Love Light



Many people ask me why I paint or create as I have been calling it, on board rather than canvas. This piece sold at my last show "Christmas on the River" and I am so thankful, but for the specific reason of this piece and it's bending, I don't create on canvas too often.
Most of my pieces have, through time, been soaked with products that need a lot of water.
Plaster for instance is one of my primary bases - rather than gesso - because of it's unique texture. It also holds dyes with a beautiful bleeding aspect & allows me to build. Paper is another, for instance, which has to also be soaked gently with dyed water and then sealed with a form of glue...
and then a little paint on top...
So you see... in the end...
Any kind of stretch canvas will continue to stretch and canvas on board with bend... which can be hard to sell at times, so I enjoy sticking to board which was my original base to begin with.
This is not to say that board will not bend! I have learned that kiltzing or sealing my board before hand predetermines the durability of the piece and how it will hold up for long periods of time - however... it does not provide an authentic look that I am often crave in my pieces.
This piece is one I really like, though. The base of the flower is barely seen, sometimes what our life portrays... and what is most focused on are the colors and form of the flower... what blooms... Matthew 5:16 is a great verse that would go with this piece... Let your light shine so that others may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven. There are great hints of gold in this flower which I often enjoy using but not so much to over power. That way with friendships & letting our love light shine! It's not our past... but what we have bloomin'!
I would like to thank Mrs. Campisi for her purchase! I truly hope you enjoy it in your office!

No comments: